Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Going Green


The start of May also means it is Cinco de Mayo, or Cinco de drinko as I like to call it. I am a lover of all thing Mexican, the beaches, the food, margaritas, sombreros…I could go on. So I generally like to celebrate Cinco de Mayo right and that means enjoying some yummy food and a good drink. Although I cannot wait until tomatoes are fresh and I can make a good salsa, this spicy tomatillo salsa will definitely hold me over until then!

Cinco de Mayo Part 1: Tomatillo Salsa

Ingredients:
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded
1-½ Serrano pepper, seeded
1 Poblano pepper, seeded
1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed and fruit rinsed, and cut into quarters
1 - 2 limes, juiced
4 green onions, sliced, whites and light green parts only
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon red onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons of cilantro, chopped
Salt
Preparation:
1. Husk tomatillos and wash them under warm water. They are sticky so they may need to be scrubbed a bit.

2. Place the tomatillos in a blender or food processor and blend until just mixed. Be careful not to over blend or it will get too soupy.
3. Dice peppers, garlic, onion and green onion until finely diced and place in small bowl.
4. Add in blended tomatillos. You may not need to use the whole mixture; I drained some of the liquid so it would be a bit thicker.


5. Stir in 2 tablespoons of lime juice and add salt to taste.
Enjoy with tortilla chips and a Corona!


No comments:

Post a Comment