Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"I'm Turning Japanese" The Vapors

Sushi Time!
I would definitely call myself an avid sushi lover. Sushi, take out or delivery, is generally a weekly habit of mine, and has been for many years. I am willing to try anything, although I generally am a repeat offender when it comes to my rolls. I do partake in the occasional fancy roll but I go back to my spicy tuna roll every time. Making sushi has always been on my to do list but when looking at the colorful assortment of fish, packed tightly inside rice and seaweed makes the task daunting. This past weekend I decided I was going to tackle my fear and attempted to create a few rolls. The result was just as wonderful as I imagined (I also reconfirmed my love for spicy mayo). Once you get the hang of how to roll the sushi the types of rolls you can create are endless!

Tools:
·         Sushi Mat (I used plastic wrap because I couldn’t find one anywhere, it worked pretty well)
·         Sharp Serrated Knife

Ingredients:
·         Nori (Seaweed)
·         Sesame Seeds
·         Sushi Rice
·         Tuna (sushi grade only)
·         Avocado
·         Hot Sesame Oil
·         Wasabi
·         Rice Vinegar
·         Light Mayo
·         Sriracha Chili Sauce
·         Soy Sauce


Spicy Tuna Roll with Avocado
  • Tuna
  • Sushi Rice
  • ½ of an Avocado, sliced
  • 1 tsp. Hot Sesame Oil
Spicy Mayo 
  • ½ Cup Light Mayo 
  • 2 teaspoons Sriracha Chili Sauce (depends on your desired level of spiciness, I like it hot!)
  • Dash of Hot Sesame Oil
  • ½ teaspoon Soy Sauce
Preparation
1. Prepare sushi rice as directed; add 2 Tbsps. of rice vinegar to rice while cooking.
2. While rice is cooking make spicy mayo by comibining all ingredients in a small bowl and mix.
3. Dice tuna and place in small bowl. Add sesame oil and spicy mayo. Stir to combine.
4. Place 1 sheet of Nori on your sushi mat or plastic wrap. Wet your fingers in water. Spread a thin layer of sushi rice over the seaweed, but do not cover completely. Leave a 1-inch margin at the ends to seal the roll.
5. Spread 2 tablespoons of the tuna mixture across the rice. Place avocado slices on top.


 
6.      Time to Roll: carefully fold the end of the mat nearest to you over the filling and roll it under. You must be gentle but you also want to make sure it is rolled tightly. Remove the mat and place on a cutting board, seam side down. Dampen your knife and slice the roll in half and then into smaller slices. Top with sesame seeds. Serve with Wasabi and Soy Sauce.

Slice and Serve!
*Some rolling skills courtesy of my boyfriend

A Little Something Extra
I had a bit of the spicy tuna mixture left over and I decided to attempt a version of the amazing Spicy Tuna on Crispy Rice from Katsuya in Los Angeles. It turned out pretty great if I do say so myself!
1.      Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan.
2.      Take a handful of sushi rice and pack it into a flat patty. Place in the oiled pan and fry.
3.      Carefully flip the rice patty, cooking until crisp.
4.      Once the rice is nice and crispy slide it onto a plate and top with avocado, spicy tuna mixture, sesame seeds and a dash of soy sauce.
5.      Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment