· 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
· 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
· 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
· 3/4 cup buttermilk
· 1 large egg yolk
· 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries (6 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Cut butter into pieces and place in the freezer for 10 minutes. When making scones and pie crusts, the colder the butter the better.
|Pulse butter and dry ingredients|
4. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle raspberries on top. The frozen raspberries work better as they don't get mushy when you work them into the dough. Knead three times to fold in raspberries (there may be loose pieces of dough and a stray berry or two). Gather and pat dough into a 1-inch-thick square and cut or pull apart into 2-inch pieces. Place pieces, about 2 inches apart, on two parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets and sprinkle tops with 1 tablespoon sugar.
5. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let scones cool slightly on sheets on wire racks. Serve warm or at room temperature.
|Push raspberries into dough|
|Cut into small squares|
|Place in the oven and bake!|