Monday, April 2, 2012

Snack Attack

I am always looking for a healthy snack recipe. I usually like to have a little sweet treat after dinner and it is almost impossible to keep chocolate my apartment for more than a day. I came across these oatmeal bars and needed to try them out immediately. They certainly hit the mark; they are so easy to make, they’re healthy and satisfied my late night sweet tooth. The great thing about these is that you can throw just about anything in them. They are also great frozen, in case you’re like me and can never keep snacks around. Next time I am going to try a peanut butter version but this time I stuck to tried fruit and dark chocolate.  
Ingredients
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups dry oats (old-fashioned or quick cooking)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 cup dried cherries
Preparation:
1. Place oats, flour, sugars, cinnamon, salt, oil, applesauce and eggs into a large mixing bowl.

2. Mix, by hand or with an electric mixer, just until completely moistened and combined.

3. Mix in raisins, chocolate chips, and cherries (or any other add ins you would like)

Stir in your sweets
4. Press into a greased 13×9 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into individual bars.

Notes:
These would be great with any kind of nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter, and maybe even nutella!

No comments:

Post a Comment