Saturday, March 24, 2012

My First Post!

Hello! I am so excited for my first blog post! This blog has been a long time coming (and is not my first attempt) however this time I vow to not become lazy. First I will tell you a bit about myself. I am a 23-year-old recent graduate from Northeastern University and I am currently living in Boston since graduation. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY and spent two years living in London with my family.
 
The transition to real life from college life has not been an easy one, but it was inevitable that one day I would have to face responsibility (sort of). I am now working as an event planner for a financial services company, which has been an exciting, and eye opening experience.

From an early age there have been two areas that have always sparked my interest: fashion and food. Although these two worlds did not always collide the foodie fashion culture has certainly taken off in the last few years. Watching my mother and my grandmother’s cook throughout my childhood influenced my love of food and shaped the way I perceived food. Cake was never from a box, veggies were never frozen and pasta sauce was never from a jar. 


Growing up in New York City, and having lived in London, I was lucky being surrounded by fresh foods and incredible restaurants. Making things from scratch and using fresh ingredients adds a whole lot of love to the food you are consuming and I just didn’t know any other way. 


When I started college at a small school in the South I realized how naïve I truly was when it came to the way people ate. My once vast culinary world shrunk to a scary degree. I was surrounded by fast food and chain restaurants. Its not that I don’t enjoy fatty, greasy foods, really, serve me anything fried, covered in salt or chocolate (or both) and I will eat it up. With a lack of appealing restaurants (and to cure a bit of homesickness) I began cooking and baking as much as I could.


Fast forward a few years, I ended up transferring to Northeastern University in Boston where I once again had the luxury of great restaurants, but I continued my culinary ambitions. I loved being able to whip up meals for my hungry friends. Now, out of college and with a full time job I am cooking my way through the real world. With a need to have project outside of work I have decided to combine my love of a home cooked meal with the other interests that drive and inspire me. Cakes to Closets will take you from my kitchen to my closet, with some other fun things in between. I hope you enjoy my blog and this inspires you to add a little love into your next meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment