Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Best B.L.T.

After tackling the task of making mayo (see here) I definitely became a bit obsessed. I craved that creamy tart mayo every day and wanted to spread it on everything! I also started thinking about all the delicious mayo creations I could experiment with. I have quite a list of mayonnaise flavors I would like to try including bacon infused mayo and black truffle mayo, but this basil mayo is certainly a new favorite. I tried to recreate one of my favorite sandwiches from a local café and I must say my sandwich was even better and I owe it all to the mayo!

BLT with Basil Mayonnaise
Ingredients
For the mayonnaise:
1 egg
1 teaspoon garlic powder
5 large basil leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of kosher salt and fresh black pepper
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin), or another 1/2 cup of canola
For the sandwich:
6 slices bacon
Good, hearty bread like sourdough or ciabatta rolls
1 large tomato, sliced into 1/4-inch
1/2 small head of romaine lettuce
Directions
1. Combine the egg, lemon juice, basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender and purée for 15 seconds. While the processor is running, slowly steam in the oils.

2. When all of the oil has been added, turn off the machine and scrape down the sides and cover. Process again until the mixture becomes thick. Remove the mayonnaise to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Use within 24 hours.
3. In a large nonstick frying pan, place the slices of cold bacon. Turn heat to low, and cook, turning once, for 6-7 minutes or until the bacon is browned but not too crisp. Remove bacon to a paper-towel-covered plate to drain.
4. Slice the bread, and toast on a griddle or under the broiler until light brown.
5. Slather the inside of the bread, top and bottom, with the basil mayonnaise; I was pretty generous with my spreading. Assemble the sandwich with a layer of lettuce, one fat slice of tomato, and 2 pieces of bacon. Cut in half with a serrated knife, and serve.
Makes 2 sandwiches (plus some leftover mayo)

No comments:

Post a Comment