Monday, June 18, 2012

Fresh Fruit

This past weekend I started off summer right by spending the afternoon at a farmer’s market where I picked up some fresh veggies and beautiful looking rhubarb. I have never worked with rhubarb before (just eaten it) but it was quite simple and I love the sweet tart flavor. Nothing reminds me of summer more than desserts filled with ripe, juicy fruits and a good berry crisp is usually my go to summer dessert. However after making this galette this might be my new summer staple. Although I think this would be just as wonderful just with rhubarb, I had some leftover strawberries and raspberries in my fridge so I threw those in as well.

Rhubarb Galette

Ingredients:

To Make Dough:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup heavy cream or buttermilk

To Make Filling:
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 cups 1/2″-thick slices rhubarb, approximately 6 stalks
Raspberries, strawberries or other berries
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg, beaten
Turbinado sugar

To Make Dough:
1. To make the dough, combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, and salt in a processor; pulse 2-3 times. Add butter and pulse 4-5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the processor running, slowing pour the heavy cream through the chute, processing until the dough forms a ball. Remove the dough ball and adhere any remaining pieces of dough to it, then wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before rolling out.

To Make Filling:
1. Dissolve cornstarch in 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl; set aside. Combine rhubarb, raspberries (or other fruit), and sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until sugar dissolves and juices are released, about 4 minutes.

2. Stir in cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil (rhubarb will not be tender and slices will still be intact). Transfer to a bowl. Chill until cool, about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F Roll out dough on floured wax paper to 12″ round; brush with beaten egg. Place wax paper with rolled out dough on a cookie sheet.
4. Mound filling in center of crust; gently spread out, leaving 1 1/2″ border. Gently fold edges of dough over filling, I used the wax paper to help me fold it over. Brush border with egg; sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes until crust starts to brown.
Yield: 4 servings
 

No comments:

Post a Comment